Sabathani programs serve 30,000 people a year with a food shelf, free clothing and household goods, after-school programming for kids, a senior center and health and wellness services for all ages. Sabathani leverages resources with nonprofits and small businesses in its building to serve even more needs.
Strong Past, Stronger FUTURE
50th Anniversary Celebration (1966-2016)
Sabathani Community Center celebrates its 50th Anniversary of service to South Minneapolis! Join us for a night fun, live concerts, great food and celebration in the Grand Opening of the Community Room “Strong Past, Stronger FUTURE” based on Minneapolis’ African American history. The night will launch a year of colorful and welcoming events including a wine tasting, musical performances, children’s play, food truck fair, elegant gala, golf tournament and more.
The Community Room tells the story of Sabathani’s history since its founding fifty years ago and about the dozens of people who have created our success to date. The event is free and open to the public. Please join us Thursday, February 25th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm.
Sabathani is the only nonprofit organization founded by African American Minnesotans that is still in existence. Join us in this year of memorable events that support programs that serve 31,000 people a year (2015).
We invite you to see our programs in action in a night of singing, dance, gathering and learning. We have created an original community room “Strong Past, STRONGER Future” that demonstrates our history and progress. Visit with Minneapolis residents and Sabathani-raised mentors from sports, film, music and social justice, as well as Sabathani angels and funders.
Sabathani: How We Operate
Sabathani is a non-profit multi-service organization serving a diverse community in four program areas:
- Building Strong Healthy Families
- Creating School Success for Children and Teens
- Keeping Seniors Active and Healthy
- Community-based Health Resources
- Advocacy – We champion and advance the best interests of community residents
- Civic Engagement – We encourage and support individual and collective actions to identify and address issues of public concern
- Collaboration – We engage in innovative partnerships that promote community growth
- Diversity – We value all individuals, cultures and communities
- Empowerment – We provide programs and services that build upon people’s assets and promote self-sufficiency
- Inclusive – We welcome everyone to Sabathani Community Center
- Leadership – We are dedicated to excellence, continuous improvement and accountability in all that we do
- Stewardship – We deploy our resources efficiently, effectively and ethically
- Strong programs – We partner with others to deliver programs that fulfill our mission and vision
- Trustworthiness – We conduct ourselves with integrity and expect the same from others